Foster homes are a necessary component of a successful shelter. In foster homes animals are provided with socialization, allows space for mother cats/dogs to raise their young, and time for sick or injured animals to heal.
Without these foster homes, many of these animals would not survive. Foster homes also free up space within the shelter, which means more lives are saved!
Specific goals of the Foster Program include:
- Providing a safe, nurturing environment for mother cats/dogs to raise their kittens/puppies
- Allowing sick or injured animals to heal in a relaxing environment
- Giving long-term residents time away from the shelter in a home setting
- Correcting behavioural issues
Foster home requirements:
- A warm, dry, safe place in a separate room, in the home, away from other animals
- The ability to keep accurate, up-to-date medical records
- Commitment through the duration of the foster process: 10 days to 3 months (depending on the age of the kittens/puppies at the time they go into foster care)
- Spend a minimum one hour per day with foster animals for socialization and basic care
- Must be willing to bring foster animals to the shelter for follow up medical treatment
If you are interested in Fostering please complete the Foster Parent Application below. If you have any questions about fostering please email firstname.lastname@example.org.